How to unlock an iPhone using a mask? | Digital Trends Spanish
Among the banalities known as first world problems, perhaps one of the most annoying for iPhone users is the difficulty in unlocking the cell phone while wearing a mask, and that is without a fingerprint reader embedded in the screen of the iPhone 11 and iPhone 12, there is no choice but to go back to the days of the iPhone 5, before the arrival of Touch ID.
But, despite this limitation, there is a method to configure a simpler way to unlock the iPhone, although this requires an Apple Watch and updates to iOS 14.5 and watchOS 7.4, which for now are only available to users. users of the Apple Developer Program.
Steps to enable unlocking with Apple Watch
The first thing you should do is check that your iPhone has the update to iOS 14.5. To review it, follow these steps:
- On your iPhone, go to Settings, go to General and Software Update. Check that your iPhone has version iOS 14.5
Then update your Apple Watch to watchOS 7.4 with the following steps:
- On your iPhone, go to the Watch app, go to General and go to Software update and download watchOS 7.4
- On your Apple Watch, go to Settings, go to General, and go to Software Update. Press to install the update.
After both devices are updated, you can activate the unlocking of the iPhone through the Apple Watch. To do so, follow these steps:
- On your iPhone, go to Settings and go to Face ID and password, go to Unlock with Apple Watch and activate the function.
After completing this configuration, verify that your Apple Watch has the “Unlock with code” and “Wrist detection” functions enabled. Do it with these steps:
- On your Apple Watch, go to Settings, go to Code and select Activate Code. This action will activate the “Wrist detection” function by default.
After activating these features, as long as the Apple Watch is on your wrist, your iPhone will automatically unlock. Your Apple Watch will vibrate and display a notification telling you that your iPhone has been unlocked.
Remember that, for now, this feature is exclusive to the developer version of iOS 14.5, which will be available to all users for a few months.
The alternative method
It is also possible to try to trick iOS into unlocking your iPhone using a mask.
To do this, you must configure an additional appearance. Do it with the following steps:
- On your iPhone, go to Settings, go to Face ID and Code, and select Set an additional appearance.