We explain how to add a contact in WhatsApp | Digital Trends Spanish
If you have many contacts on your phone, adding each one individually to WhatsApp can be a tedious, time-consuming and very little entertaining activity. To make your life a little easier, we have created this guide in which we explain how to add a contact on WhatsApp in the simplest way possible. The following examples use iOS 14 and Android 10, but the steps are the same for previous versions of these operating systems, as WhatsApp has had the good sense to keep the interface consistent for the ease of users.
How to add contacts on iOS
- On the conversations screen, click on the chat icon in the upper right corner of the window.
- On the next screen, click on New contact.
- Write the name and phone number of the person you want to add: both the name, the phone number, and the email are required.
- The information of this newly added contact will appear in your Contacts.
How to add contacts on Android
- From the conversations screen, click on the Chat icon at the bottom right of the screen.
- Choose New contact on the next screen.
- Enter the contact information for the person you want to add.
- Click on save in the upper right corner of the window. The next screen will show you in detail the complete contact that you just added to your agenda.
- This new contact will also appear in your address book.
How to invite a friend to join WhatsApp
As you start using WhatsApp more and more frequently, you will invariably want to add more people to your contacts. Since you can only communicate with people who already have WhatsApp, you may need to employ friendly persuasion tactics to get your friends to download yet another app on their phones, if they haven’t already downloaded the popular Facebook app.
How to invite friends from an iPhone
- Go to the chat window and click on the chat icon in the upper right corner.
- On the next screen, scroll to the bottom.
- Touch Invite friends to WhatsApp.
- Select in the menu if you want to send the invitation by email (Mail) or Messages.
- Select your friend from the contact list and click on the button Send 1 invitation.
- WhatsApp sends a pre-written note with standard text with an invitation and a link to the application in the App Store.
How to invite friends from an Android device
- Go to the conversations screen and start a new chat.
- On the next screen, click on Invite friends.
- The application allows you to access email or messages, from where you can send the invitation to your friend.
- Click on Send.
- Your friend will receive a link to WhatsApp in the Google Play Store, from where they can download and register as a new user.
How to add a friend from a country other than yours
Adding a friend abroad is the same as adding any other contact in your own country. As always, start by going to the chat screen and adding a new contact. Just make sure you follow the existing protocol for adding foreign phone numbers.
- When adding the contact’s phone number, always start with a plus sign (+).
- Enter the country code, a country-specific numeric prefix, followed by your contact’s phone number.
- Look on the Internet what is the country code of your friend if you don’t know him.
Remove all leading zeros or calling codes from the phone number after entering the country code.
How to add a contact with a QR code
WhatsApp users can create QR codes for their contact information, and share them with others to make entering this information easier and more accurate. With a QR you can save or share a contact, start a conversation or add someone to a group. This is how you can create a QR code; the process is the same on iOS and Android.
- Opens WhatsApp> Settings.
- Tap the icon with a QR code next to your name.
- Touch Scan code> OK.
- Hold the phone over the code until it recognizes it and vibrates.
- Touch Add to contacts.
- Another option, to open the WhatsApp camera, tap the camera icon (top on Android; bottom on iOS).
- Touch Add to contacts.