Kia EV6: the first electric with dedicated battery | Digital Trends Spanish
The new crossover Kia EV6 2022 arrives as the brand’s first dedicated battery electric vehicle (BEV). The first models are expected to go on sale in early 2022 and the GT to arrive at the end of the same year.
The modular E-GMP platform maximizes development efficiency. The architecture provides an adaptable foundation with a long wheelbase and wide stance. The visual language combines classic sports car inspiration with high-tech cues, modern CUV styling, and a coupe profile.
The EV6 has the same 114.2-inch wheelbase as the Kia Telluride, and compares to the width of a Ford Mustang Mach E and the wheelbase and ground clearance of a Tesla Model Y.
The EV platform also enables amazing performance, AWD capability, and blazing fast charge times. The vehicle offers up to approximately 300 miles of all-electric range (AER), vehicle-on-load (V2L) functionality, and a flat-floor interior that uses sustainable materials throughout the cabin. The EV6 also offers a wide range of advanced driver assistance systems.
“The EV6 marks a transformative new era in the electrification of Kia,” said Sean Yoon, President and CEO of Kia North America, Kia America. “This innovative crossover leverages the many benefits of its advanced platform to deliver a level of technological excitement and convenience that will deliver an excellent ownership experience.”
EV6 First Edition
For the first time for the brand, Kia will offer a special First Edition EV6 available by pre-ordering on Kia.com starting June 3. Limited to just 1,500 units. Comes with Augmented Reality (AR) Head-Up Display, Remote Smart Parking Assist, wide sunroof, 20-inch wheels, 14-speaker Meridian Premium audio system, and a two-year SiriusXM subscription, along with AWD from double motor and 77.4 kWh battery.
Three unique color combinations include Glacier with dark green seats, Urban Yellow with black seats, and Steel Gray Matte also with black seats.
- Polarized on the rear wheel; AWD capability available with front electric motor.
Strong body structure using 75 percent high-strength steel (HSS) and ultra-high-strength steel (UHSS).
- Five-link rear suspension.
- The world’s first series-produced Integrated Drive Shaft (IDA) to improve driving comfort and handling, combining wheel bearings with the drive shaft to save weight.
- A long wheelbase and short overhangs maximize interior space with a flat floor and no tunnel layout.
- Underfloor mounted battery placement allows for a low center of gravity for added stability.
- Rear-wheel drive: 58.0 kWh battery with a 160 kW rear motor produces 167 horsepower.
- Rear-wheel drive: 77.4 kWh battery with a 160 kW rear engine produces 218 horsepower.
- AWD – 77.4 kWh battery with a 70 kW front engine and 160 kW rear engine produces 313 horsepower.
- Estimated performance from 0 to 60 in 5.1 seconds.
- AWD – 77.4 kWh battery with 160 kW front engine and 270 kW rear engine produces 576 horsepower (GT).
- Estimated performance from 0 to 60 mph in less than 3.5 seconds.
- Not available until the end of 2022.
- The world’s first patented multi-charging system to support both 400V and 800V DC charging, running on DC chargers with speeds ranging from 50kW to 350kW.
- 800 VDC fast charging from a 350 kW charger allows:
- Almost 70 miles added in less than 5 minutes.
- Up to 210 miles (10 to 80 percent) added in less than 18 minutes.
- 11 kW On-Board Charger (OBC) for level 2 recharge from 10 to 100 percent in 7 hours and 10 minutes (240 VAC, at 40 amps) for the larger 77.4 kWh battery versions.
- Extensive use of recycled plastic throughout the interior.
- 100 percent vegan leather surfaces on some trimmings.
- 100 percent led lighting inside and out.
- Slim front seats.
- The slim seat frames use an ultralight “giga-steel” to maximize rear seat / knee room due to the slim backrest design.
- Cargo space behind 27.7 cu.ft. 60/40 split folding second row.
- Five cubic feet of cargo space with the second row folded down.
- Hands-free smart power liftgate for easy cargo access.
- Additional storage space for small items in the front trunk (frunk).